Today I am preparing for a potentially big storm. The weather folks are saying to get prepared because the conditions are similar to the crazy storm we had last June that did a huge amount of widespread damage across many states. I remember it like it was yesterday – we did not see it coming. Everyone thought it was just going to be a regular old thunderstorm, but there was nothing regular about it. Thankfully my home did not lose power and the only damage we had was to a big tree out front.
The big Derecho storm of 2012
I hope that we are getting ready for a big false alarm, but it is not something I will take my chances on. We have too many animals right now to be without water and since we have a well – if we lose power, we lose water. I am filling all of our containers and kiddie pools, and went to the grocery and bought bottled drinking water for the humans. Our well water doesn’t keep for long.
This is what’s on my checklist:
- fill water containers for animals
- go to feed store (if widespread power outages occur, we won’t be able to get feed)
- batteries in flashlights, and locate candles and matches
- gas for generator and grill
- gas up vehicles
- have easy to prep foods on hand
- finish laundry
- do the dishes
- put everything we might need to ride out a storm in the basement (shoes, flashlights, purse, camera, water, snacks, etc.)
- charge up the phones and other devices
That’s all I can think of right now but I’m sure there is more and hopefully tomorrow I have a good report that it wasn’t bad at all. Stay safe everyone!