Did you know you don’t have to become a victim to every bug that goes around? That there are natural ways to help your body stay healthy even through times of stress and the changing seasons – the time when alot of people have extra stress, and being cooped up with each other indoors leads to more germs circulating.
As the weather gets colder and illnesses spread like wildfire in schools, I realized this week I really needed to hound my kids – “eat some veggies, stop staying up so late, take your vitamins, use your oils”. You see, we are going through some budget cutbacks here and I NEED them to stay as healthy as possible. Nothing is 100% effective, but the steps I’ve taken over the last few years have drastically improved the immune health in this household. That’s a win in my book!
But what can you do other than wash your hands? Here are a few tips that I use to take back the power and stay well:
- Your belief system. STOP believing that you are going to catch everything that is being reported in the news. Turn OFF the news! Stop conditioning your body to believe what you think. I have seen people just give in and say “oh well, everybody else has the monkey fly so I may as well just give in and get it now.” And guess what? They catch it. And they come down with everything that is going around and don’t even TRY to FIGHT IT. There is scientific proof that our cells and systems act on what we think and believe. It’s time to retrain your brain! Check out Dr. Caroline Leaf’s books for some amazing brain info!
- Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition! I know – it’s not easy to cut the sugar this time of year! And I’m not saying you have to go zero sugar – hey, I NEED to have my once a year pecan pie. But do try to limit sweets, cut the amount of white carbs and ADD some healthy things like veggies and lean protein. Just work on balance. I use NingXia Red, a super-nutrient high antioxidant juice that helps my energy levels. I notice a big difference when I use it.
- Daily movement. Keep the blood sugar stable and your lymphatic system cleansed. The body is made for movement.
- Supplements. I know ALOT of people do not believe in supplements. Maybe some people don’t need them, but I think most of us do not have stellar nutrition habits and supplements fill in the cracks. Don’t waste your money on cheap stuff that is full of fillers and won’t digest. You may as well eat your money for all the benefit you will get.* I’m going to add a section at the end covering a few specifics that I use.
- Herbs. Technically fall under the supplement category, but they are a whole new frontier for most people and can be intimidating. I took a family herbalist class about 5 years ago and learned some great info, but most of it I do not use because herbs are just not simple enough for me and require large quantities and frequent doses to be effective. You have probably heard of echinacea, right? That’s an herb that stimulates the immune system. I do like Elderberry, and some different formulas for digestive and bronchial health though. I like Dr. Christopher’s brand and you can find it at Amazon or any health food store. These work best with very clean eating.
- Essential Oils. Essential oils are a little bit like herbs, but they are a more concentrated form of the “essence” or life-force of a plant. I like them because they are super easy to use, and SUPER effective. Who wouldn’t want to to have the power of a naturally healthy immune system by simply rubbing an oil on the bottom of your feet a couple times a day or diffusing for the whole house to enjoy? Again, quality matters. Cheap oils don’t work. I’ve tried many of them. They don’t even smell that good when compared to a high quality oil. Don’t mess around or waste money like I did. Get the best.
There are a whole bunch of them, that’s for sure! How do you know what to use? First, find a company that uses organically sourced product. Ask other people what they use and if it really helps them. I mostly use products from the company I work with – because I know the painstaking care they take in sourcing and creating them.
Some people simply want a good multivitamin/mineral and I think that’s a great place to start! If you are in doubt, go get a simple blood test to find out your levels. That will help you decide what to supplement. Look for a whole-food, organic sourced, no filler multivitamin and mineral like Young Living Master Formula.
Because of my blood tests, I know that I am abysmally low in Vitamin D. I live in the Midwest, where the sun doesn’t shine much for half the year. My physical therapist recommended it and said it helps so many issues in the body – from aches and pains, to depression. I am not set on a brand of Vitamin D at the moment.
Magnesium. I think most people could use this important mineral! It is calming, supports the nervous system (I know I need more when I get muscle twitches) and may help if you get headaches or have trouble sleeping at night. This is one you definitely can NOT cheap out on. Because if you do…well, you will be in the bathroom alot. I use the slow release from Jigsawhealth.com but some people like a tea called MagnaCalm. I take my mag at night, so I use pills because tea would make me have to wake up and pee.
Digestive enzymes and probiotics. We need digestive support, especially when our diets change or we are indulging in heavy foods. Most foods these days don’t have what we need for a healthy gut. I have just started learning about how the immune system is so dependent on a healthy gut. It is a very complex system! I use Detoxzyme and Life 5 from Young Living (soon to be upgraded Life 9).
Those are the basics – everyone will have different bodily systems that need individualized support. I know that my body handles stress very poorly, so I supplement to support my adrenals and thyroid, and use oils to help keep a healthy cortisol level so that I don’t crash and end up in bed for 2 weeks.
You have the power to be healthy this winter! Food, rest, movement, supplements, and oils every day. There are amazing natural tools that we have access to, thank goodness! You just have to dig in and start learning.
p.s. If you want to make it easy, try oil infused supplements like Inner Defense which contains the powerful Thieves oil blend and Oregano in a capsule! Simplicity is a good thing. Set up your account here.
Want to know more? Sign up for the weekly newsletter by email