Some of my favorite and inexpensive oils which I use everyday are the citrus oils. Not only do they smell amazing and have an uplifting effect on my mood, they do many other great things. Citrus oils contain many good-for-you chemicals that have an effect on the entire body, including contains d-limonene, an antioxidant that has been studied for healthy immune system function. Citrus fragrances are also believed to induce relaxation, and help improve moods. They are the Happy Oils!
- Lemon – Studies show that inhaling lemon can actually counter occasional feelings of depression.
Uses for lemon:
Removes adhesive and sticker residue
When eating out, add a few drops to your water to flavor water
Add to water when cleaning fresh berries to get rid of grime
Add to any cleaning solution
- Grapefruit – When inhaled as an aromatic, grapefruit oil can create feelings of being full, which makes it appropriate to use in healthy weight-management programs. It is also said to be supportive of the skin, digestive system, cirulatory, vascular, and lymphatic systems
Uses for grapefruit:
Add to water for a no-calorie refreshing drink
Inhale to lift your spirits
Diffuse to perk yourself up
- Orange – the sweet fragrance encourages positive emotions of peace and well-being. Rich in the powerful antioxidant limonene, orange essential oil supports the body’s natural cellular processes.
Twice a week add a drop of orange oil to a bit of baking soda, scoop it up with your toothbrush and brush away. The oil whitens and the baking soda is a mild abrasive
Add to water for a refreshing drink and to support the body’s natural cellular processes
Diffuse or inhale to promote relaxation
May be useful for dull or oily complexions and the appearance of wrinkles.
- Tangerine – has a sweet, tangy aroma known to help with occasional nervous irritability and promote a sense of security
Diffuse with lavender for a soothing atmosphere
Add a couple of drops to NingXia Red
Add to freshly juiced veggies to “brighten” the flavor of the juice.
Add to water or smoothies
- And if you simply can’t choose – try Citrus Fresh! a yummy blend with orange, tangerine, mandarin, grapefruit, and a touch of spearmint. It is my favorite and can be used pretty much just like all the others. I love to put it in a diffuser to purify the air.
For more in-depth information on Young Living Citrus Oils, listen to this presentation
And by the way – citrus oils are not safe to use in plastic containers as they will dissolve plastics. Use glass only! Citrus oils are also photosensitive, so should not be used on skin that will be exposed to sunlight within 12 hours of application